08.20 Registration and Continental Refreshments
Delegate Survey - what is top of your agenda? Cast your vote at the registration desk!
08.50 Welcome address: Max Bowie, Editor, INSIDE MARKET DATA
Interactive Audience Poll via Sli.do
Vote live to generate real time content #TOFIS
08.55 Morning Keynote Address: Six principles and a framework for data as a value-generating asset
Sandip Sahota, Managing Director, Head of Data Management, CANADA PENSION PLAN INVESTMENT BOARD
9.20 Morning keynote presentation: Digital Innovation & Data - Shaping the Future of Financial Services
Karthik Jayaram, Chief Data Officer, HSBC BANK CANADA
09.40 Spotlight panel: Developing a firm-wide data strategy to meet technological, regulatory and business demands
- Tech, compliance, risk, data and operations - best practices to align business functions and get everyone speaking the same language
- Which technologies are you using to identify, classify and fix data quality issues and how are your data quality improvement activities embracing people, process and technology?
- What will future innovative technologies look like? Addressing and preparing for the impact of things like machine learning advances, new blockchain usage and new big data analytics platforms
- How are you leveraging ‘regtech' to ease the regulatory burden?
- What implications could the current US political changes have on the Canadian financial market and how can we ride the wave with minimal disruption?
Moderator: Max Bowie, Editor, INSIDE MARKET DATA
Donna Rudnicki, Managing Director, Global Head of Data Management, RBC CAPITAL MARKETS
Ronald Lee, MD, Chief Information and Operations Officer, MUFG CANADA
Sandip Sahota, Managing Director - Head of Data Management, CANADA PENSION PLAN INVESTMENT BOARD
Todd Loomis, Head of Solutions Architecture, TD BANK
Allie Harris, Head of Governance and Analytics, BMO CAPITAL MARKETS
10.25 Thought leadership sponsorship presentation: Emerging trends in Analytics including the role of open source and machine learning
Steve Holder, Strategy Executive, Analytic Ecosystems, SAS
10.50 Morning break and knowledge café
Grab a coffee and join a table of your choice in the exhibition area to share ideas and network with fellow industry experts
1. Analytics, machine learning and AI
2. Governance, transparency and quality
3. Fintechs and incubators
4. Women in data - diversity
5. Client data - KYC and AML
INFORMAL BREAKOUT SESSIONS
Coaching session: Fundamental Review of the Trading Book (FRTB) in the spotlight
During this coaching session leading data management executives will guide you through the preparation and questions that you should be addressing to ensure that you meet the 2019 deadline
- What are the biggest changes in terms of the data requirements being introduced by FRTB?
- What current inefficiencies must be overcome in order to comply with risk data requirements?
- Best practice approaches: case examples of what banks have already done and the timelines that they are working to
Hany Farag, Senior Director, CIBC
Deep dive discussion: Blockchain
Topic areas for discussion:
- What is blockchain?
- What impact and potential does the ledger present?
- Use cases of blockchain initiatives - what lessons can be learnt from early adopters?
Rares Pateanu, Director, Board of Directors, GREENBANK CAPITAL
This session is not available for sponsorship
Panel: Tackling regulation head on - assessing data and technology strategies to aid compliance and create lasting benefits for reporting requirements
- Are BCBS 239 and FRTB the primary drivers expediting your data management activities?
- What other regulations or market factors are impacting your data management program?
- Identifying and addressing the key challenges in transaction reporting
- Responding to the wave of regulations - how can you organize your data so that you are not tackling regulatory data requirements in silos?
- Assessing vendor offerings to assist with regulatory reporting and implementing them efficiently
Moderator: Lida Preyma, Director, Global AML Risk Management & AMLRO Designate, BMO
Dave Moore, Director, Trade Supervision, BMO CAPITAL MARKETS
Zulfiqar Hyder, Director Regulatory Capital Reporting, SCOTIABANK
Petal Walker, Chief Counsel for Commissioner Bowen, Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
Neda Heidarpour, Associate Director, SCOTIABANK
Deep dive discussion: The data managers debate
Are you a CDO, Head of Data Management, or work closely with the Chief Data Office? Take a seat at the table to meet other industry leaders and share insights into your current projects and challenges.
Topic areas for discussion
- Talent retention and recruitment
- High level strategy
- Managing data holistically
- CDO Oversight
- Working with other functions
- Maintaining and developing vendor partnerships
Michael Niras, Senior Manager, Data Governance & Analytics, BMO Financial Group
This session is not available for sponsorship
Panel: Developing a data governance program that will respond to evolving business, technology and regulatory needs
- Defining and communicating what data governance and quality means to your business
- How can you justify the value of data quality and obtain business buy-in?
- Building an effective data governance framework to ensure optimum data quality
- Identifying and engaging different departments that should be involved in a data governance program
- Best practices for monitoring data quality and refining your data governance program
Moderator: Meg Hutchison, AVP of Data Governance, HOME TRUST
Robert Keslick, Data Governance Lead, BMO
Melanie Mykytuik, Enterprise Head of Data Stewardship Governance and Liaisons, TD BANK
Geoff Martin, Vice President, Data Governance, RBC CAPITAL MARKETS
Paul Childerhose, Director, Data Governance - Traded Products, SCOTIABANK
Dominic Dowd, Director, Data Management Delivery, CANADA PENSION PLAN INVESTMENT BOARD
John Ramoutsakis, Regional Director, INFORMATION BUILDERS
1.00 Lunch break and an opportunity to network
1.50 Cloud infrastructure
- Buy vs build vs hybrid cloud adoption - making the right choice for your business
- How/when do you expect regulators to weigh in when it comes to the public cloud?
- What security, privacy and compliance issues need to be considered?
- The key questions to be asking your provider
Moderator: Rares Pateanu, Director, Board of Directors, GREENBANK CAPITAL
Nelson De Jesus, Vice President, CIBC
Kris Farhood, Program Director, RBC
Maxim Preiezjev, Senior IT Manager, Infrastructure and Cloud Service Delivery, TD SECURITIES
Paul Neo, Director Enterprise Architecture, SCOTIABANK
2.35 Panel: Leveraging data analytics and machine learning capabilities to generate value
- How can the latest developments in machine learning be applied to trading and risk analytics
- Which tools and technologies are you using to analyze structured vs unstructured data?
- Applying AI to assist with processing large datasets - can human monitoring ever compete?
- Leveraging AI to better understand the needs of your clients and improve revenues
- Addressing the advances in Natural Language Programming (NLP) and Text Mining - how can you extract a fuller meaning representation from free text?
- Harnessing big data analytics specifically for front-office trading systems - what are the biggest potential opportunities and biggest challenges to achieving them?
Moderator: Imad Jewadi, VP, Data Management and Analytics, HOME TRUST
Chai Lam, Director, Solution Architecture, RBC INSURANCE
Peter McGuinness, Information Collector, CANADIAN SECURITIES TRANSITION OFFICE
Tarun Dhot, Director, Advanced Analytics, CIBC
Patrick Brennan, Enterprise Sales Director, DIGITAL REASONING
3.20 Delegate discussion workshops
Join a table to delve deeper into the topic of interest to you - talk "off the record" to industry experts and vendor partners to share challenges and strategies.
Each of these sessions will be hosted by an industry expert. Drop a business card in the bowl at your table if you would like to share your contact information with the other delegates at the table.
1. Table topic: Managing data governance and ensuring good data quality around the firm
Host: Patricia A. Huff, Manager Global Client Data Services - Data Quality, RBC
2. Table topic: Regulatory reporting initiatives including the use of LEI's
Host: Robin A. Doyle, Managing Director, Office of Regulatory Affairs, JP MORGAN and Board Member, GLEIF
3. Table topic: Transparency and data quality
Host: Mukesh Sharma, Director, Data Quality Management - Chief Data Office - Investment Division, MANULIFE
4. Table topic: Addressing the latest analytics tools and capabilities
Host: Tarun Dhot, Director, Advanced Analytics, CIBC
Co-Host: Sandy Chiang, Solution Director, INFORMATION BUILDERS
5.. Table topic: Advances in machine learning and AI
Host: Pavan Mirla, Data Scientist
For more information about the workshops, please click here.
4.00 Afternoon break and an opportunity to network
4.20 Presentation: An update from the Global LEI Foundation (GLEIF)
Robin A. Doyle, Managing Director, Office of Regulatory Affairs, JP MORGAN and Board Member, GLEIF
4.40 Deep dive discussion: The Canadian innovation forum
- What innovative technologies are impacting the financial industry?
- How can incubators or partnering with a fintech firm to drive innovation into your business?
- How are millennials reshaping the financial sector?
- Benefits of partnering with universities to attract new talent
Moderator: Dennis Cote, Technology Executive and President, DJC TECHNOLOGY CONSULTING
Cheryl Cheung, Director, Innovation Engagement, CIBC
Karim Ayad, Director Development Digital Payments, SCOTIABANK CANADA
Silu Modi, Director, Innovation Partnerships, Technology & Innovation Group, RBC
5.25 Editors harvest session: Hear our editor summarize the key themes and discussion points following the 2017 TOFIS conference so far
Max Bowie, Editor, INSIDE MARKET DATA
|5.30 Cocktail reception